Monday, January 4, 2010

GETTING TO THE IMBROS

I was sitting in my crib (Otago for small house) enjoying a very funny book, The Life and Death of Laura Friday abd of Pavarotti her parott, by David Murphy, a Kiwi writer, when my neighbour apeared at my door with his elderly springer spaniel,
"Come on, Walkies.' he ordered. He has appointed himself my personal trainer and tells me I must aim at walking the length of Kaik Road (2.9 ks)and back TWICE A DAY. At least I don't have to sniff fence posts and do disgusting things in the grass like Mars does, and I do feel better after a walk.

And I can say 'Good morning Sir/Madam/Miss, how are you? Where is Victory Street? Is it over there?' IN GREEK. When I get to Kisamos I shall sit in a cafe there and listen for the first month until I find myself thinking in Greek, and then I shall join in the conversation, carefully.

If any fellow Kiwis are reading this, if you enjoyed Ronald Hugh Morrieson's books do look at 'The Life and Death of Laura Friday etc.' David Murphy lives in Greytosn, that snobby little blot on the landscape between Featherston and Carterton. The book is set in a typcal NZ town, probably in West Auckland where everybody grows their own 'weed.' Even the blurb on the back cover is good for a laugh.
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF LAURA FRIDAY AND HER PARROT PAVAROTTI
Author: David Murphy
Published:Harper Collins 2008
ISBN;97 1 86950 700 8

It's funny and outrageous, just the way I wish I could write.

No comments:

Post a Comment